Notable Achievements and Improvement
Over the last three years, we have celebrated notable achievements at Annoor Academy. The most notable achievement was our move to the newly constructed ISGC building which houses our school. The move from a 2300 square feet facility to our sprawling 23,000 square feet building was a welcomed change. The new facility includes a full gym, commercial kitchen, 3 prayer areas, large restrooms, and spacious classrooms. Outside, students enjoy a $60,000 playground designed for optimal student physical fitness and enjoyment. The facility sits in the upscale suburb of East Brainerd amidst beautiful and lush mature trees.
As a tribute to the achievements of our school, parents, staff, and friends purchased a flower to pay for a mural that is painted inside our main school building. The mural reflects the beauty of the lush outdoors and the beauty of God’s Attributes which are written on the mural along with a powerful verse from the Holy Quran.
Another notable achievement is our focus on incorporating specialized programs to meet student needs. To fully embody the mission of Annoor Academy, we have increased the amount of services and opportunities available for students and families by providing the following:
• A character education program infused with religious studies to develop the faith-based morals and values that will shape socially-responsible global citizens
• A licensed school social worker who provides guidance and counseling individually and in groups
• A contract-based school psychologist who provides academic assessments for students and training for parents and staff
• Service leadership to develop socially-responsible citizenship through clothing and food drives, a bowl-a-thon for the children’s shelter, fleece blankets for babies in the NICU, a fundraiser and walk-a-thon for the Making Strides breast cancer awareness program, caroling to the senior citizens at the nursing home, school-wide recycling program, and organizing the prayer clothes and cubbies in the worship areas
• Technology initiatives to emphasize 21st century skills include a one-to-one Kindle Fire/I-pad for Kindergarten – 6th grade, 2 smartboards, 2 document cameras, 3 projectors, 8 Google Chromebooks, 5 laptops, 6 overhead projectors, and 5 desktop computers
• Enrichment electives to provide additional opportunities for growth in various areas such as art, robotics, sports, chorus, tutoring, handwriting, reading, track and field, math, and more
• Health and wellness classes for each grade level to promote healthy and safe life choices
• Religious studies competitions in Quranic recitation, Islamic history, and exegesis of the Quran
• Academic competitions and non-competitive activities including the school spelling bee, science fair, book week, international fair, winter exhibition of literary and artistic expression, publishing week, field day, and the history and geography fair
• Annual faith-based school-wide theatrical performances including The Hijra Play, Prophet Yunus and the Whale, Prophet Nuh and the Ark, and The Hajj Simulation
• Daily morning assembly with a focus on student orators who present religious scripture and devotions in English and Arabic, school rules, and the student pledge to strengthen religious observance as well as speech and presentation skills
• Student leadership opportunities including Student Council with members from Pre-K through 6th grade, Honor Society, Robotics Club, Math Olympiads, and the Read Aloud Book Club
• A licensed children’s fitness instructor to lead the physical education and fitness programs
• School-wide initiatives such as recycling, peace studies, and community service programs
• Parent-focused events such as the annual open house, food and nutrition lab, child development trainings, family relations trainings by local community service organizations, and family literacy, math, and science night
• Academic initiatives such as the purchase of school-wide reading intervention programs Wilson, Fundations, and Words Their Way, along with training and professional development for the programs
• Integration of a school management communication system called Renweb which allows teachers to input lesson plans and grades which parents can login to view immediately, allows emailing between staff and parents, manages the school library and attendance, maintains records and profiles for students and staff, and more
• Rigorous assessment instruments including AIMSWEB, ITBS, Rigby PM, and Brigance.
As we continue to strive for continuous improvement, we plan accordingly for meaningful change that will have a positive, direct impact on students. Annoor Academy’s areas for future improvement include:
• Additional student support services and teacher professional development in ELL, gifted, and exceptional student services
• Increased technology-based learning
• Parent services to help parents learn how to support their child’s education at home
• Increased focus on academic rigor and higher order thinking
• A full hot breakfast, snack, and lunch program
Annoor Academy of Chattanooga is a school created by the community for the community. Annoor Academy parents play a critical role in supporting our school and we value their support and trust. We look forward to our future endeavors such as securing an endowment, offering additional employee benefits, creating more diversity within our school staff and board, and providing a rigorous, quality education in an Islamic environment.